Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Idea for vacuuming

I like to make sure the vacuum takes place during off peak times, which is why I don't use autovacuum.

Jim Nasby wrote:
On Jun 22, 2006, at 7:12 PM, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
I'm running a 8.0 database. I have a very large log table that is rarely updated or deleted from. The nightly vacuum does not know this, and spends a lot of time on it, and all its indexes.

My RFE: When vacuuming a table, pg should try to vacuum the primary key first. If that results in 0 recovered entries, then assume the table has no updates/deletes and skip the rest of that table. I'm picking the primary key here, but any index that indexes each row of the table will do. Maybe it should just pick the smallest index that indexes each row of the table.

*shrug* It's kinda hard to get excited about that when running autovacuum (or pg_autovacuum in the case of 8.0) would be a much better solution.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend