Search Postgresql Archives

Re: aggregate of bitstrings

TJ O'Donnell wrote:
AHA!  I hadn't encountered any null values in my bitstrings.
and having to include 'where xxx is not null' is rather
inconvenient and easy to forget.

indeed bitor(B'1000',null) returns null

but as a test, i nulled one row's data (the bitstring column portion only)
and my orsum without INITCOND returned the proper OR of the remaining values
when including all rows in the aggregate.  it did not return null.
Hm.. strange.. I could have sworn that I added the initcond to fix some
null-related issue...
Maybe is was the aggregate returning null where there where no rows
to aggregate.. I'll test this again, I'd actually love to get rid of
that initcond.

greetings, Florian Pflug