Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Interface Guidance and Opinions Needed

  I would like to scan my database for new orders then do an HTTPS
post to the provider. I would also like to periodically check for new orders/messages from the provider via an HTTPS post and bring them into my database (a constant exchange of information). I am wondering if something like PHP would be a universal solution, or something similar?

Well honestly, you have just opened a huge thread because everyone is going to post an opinion on this. So let me be first :)

I would suggest Python. It has excellent XML parsing capabilities, is an easy language to learn and is widely used.

PHP is common to use but I find that the better you get at development the more frustrating PHP becomes.

Other suitable languages are Perl, Ruby and Java. I would stay away from Java due to complexity and overhead. Perl is a mature but potentially difficult language to those new to the environment. Ruby is just Perl with a cleaner overall design.

All have their strengths and weaknesses. You should really use whatever makes you comfortable.

I hope this was helpful.

Sincerely,

             http://www.commandprompt.com/