Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Problem in Pg 8.1.4 with CREATEDB

Alexander Scholz wrote:
Yes, we have the same problem!  Refer to the thread with the subject
"Problem V8.1.4 - providing pwd for commandline tools doesn't work anymore".

They seem to have change the old behaviour of the commandline tools,
which worked well since 8.0! I don't understand why the change should be
"more secure", but I see that nobody took care about the possible
consequences for installation scripts, third party applications and so
on. :-(((

At least they should have clearly stated this in the update readme. (The
comment "Fix problem with password prompting on some Win32 systems" just
says nothing at all, which could have "alerted" anybody that might
concern the effect of it)

Sigh,

Alexander.

Thank you for this hint.
We will have to change our setup asap. Which one of the methods passing a password do you prefer ? Setting the Password as a environment variable doesn't seem to be very secure to me :-)

Pit