Search Postgresql Archives

Best way to store and retrieve large objects in database for email program

I am creating an email client that will contain email messages. Now a message may have multiple large attachments.

1.)    Would the best way to store these large objects be in an oid field?

2.)    I assume for performance reasons I should place these large objects in a separate table called attachments. And create an attachments table for each user?

3.)    Only when a user clicks on an attachment to open it, should I use server side SQL functions like lo_export and lo_open to read the data to a file stream for my application to deal with?

Am I on the right track or can anybody recommend a better solution?