Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Best high availability solution ?

Dave Page a écrit :
Slony-I only exists for Windows in a not-even-beta state at the moment,
so even if you get things up and running using a virtual IP solution you
will be hand-holding Slony until it gets properly released.

OK, I thought it was in production stage.

If I'm honest, I think your boss is going to be disappointed. You would
add a *lot* of complexity to the system to make it handle failures with
zero intervention, and that extra complexity is probably more likely to
go wrong than a single server. I'd spend your time and money on making
sure your raid & ups are good, that you are running on server grade
hardware with ECC RAM, and that you have good out of band management
facilities so even if you are away from the office you can connect via
VPN/modem or whatever and fix things.

I think you're right.
Is there a simple replication solution for windows then ? Or will I have to stop the master postgresql at night to pgdump and pgrestore on the backup server ?

If I have a synchronized backup server (even if it synchronizes once or twice a day, this might be OK), I could just write a simple script that would change the host file of the clients to have the postgresql's name to point to the backup IP...

--
Arnaud