Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Best high availability solution ?

Magnus Hagander a écrit :
Since you're a Windows shop, you may already have the experience (and
even liceneses perhaps?) to run Microsoft Cluster Service (part of 2003
Enterprise Edition or 2000 Advanced Server). PostgreSQL will work fine
with it. Works with shared disks using either fibrechannel or iSCSI.
If you don't have the licenses for it already, it might turn out very
expensive. And if you don't already have fibrechannel, that part is
definitly expensive - but iSCSI could help you.

I am running Windows 2000 Server (the "normal" edition, not the "advanced" one), so I don't have the cluster service available.

If you're willing to move off Windows for the server platform, you could
look at one of the solutions like slony+pgpool, or maybe DRBD+linux/ha.
That'll be less expensive in both hardware and licenses, but if you
don't have the people to maintain a new platform for it that's likely to
be prohibitive.

I don't have the Linux knowledge to move from windows unfortunately.

Otherwise, is the clustering service really necessary ?
Aren't there simple "virtual IP addresses" solutions available ?
I could have a single virtual IP for the 2 servers, and having an automatic failover if the master server is down ? The slave would never be accessed by clients directly (only after a failover) but would by synchronized with the master (slony-I).

Does this kind of software exist in the windows world ?

--
Arnaud