Search Postgresql Archives

Best high availability solution ?

Hi list !

I have a small enterprise network (~15 workstations, 1 server), all running windows OSes. Most of our work is done on a PostgreSQL DB (on the windows server). I am the only IT here, and my boss asked me to find a way to have the database always online, without my intervention. Last time I went on vacation, the server crashed and no one was able to repair it.

Our application connects to PostgreSQL through ODBC, with a simple TCP/IP connection. I though that I would first install a Slony-I cluster. That would be fine for data replication, but still if the main server crashes, the database connections will not work anymore because the name of the backup-server will be different than the name of the master, so all ODBC connection should be changed to use the new machine name. Since I cannot ask anyone to do some DNS changes or things like that, I am looking for a simple way to have my database always online (note that I already have a UPS and RAID1 on the server to prevent most failures).

After some searches, I found LifeKeeper, which looks very good but is quite expensive !
Are there easier and/or better solutions than that ?

Thanks for your advices on this matter !

--
Arnaud