Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Compound words giving undesirable results with tsearch2

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Lars Haugseth wrote:

I've setup a database using tsearch2, configured with support for compound
words according to the excellent guide found here:

http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/oddmuse/index.cgi/Tsearch_V2_compound_words

This works fine. There is however one drawback that I'd like to know
whether can be remedied. Let's say I want to search for records containing
the word 'fritekst', which is a compound Norwegian word meaning
'free text'.

testdb=# select to_tsquery('default_norwegian', 'fritekst');
         to_tsquery
------------------------------
'fritekst' | 'fri' & 'tekst'
(1 row)

Now, this will indeed match those records, but it will also match any
records containing both of the words 'fri' and 'tekst', without regard
to whether they are next to each other or in completely different parts
of the text being indexed. In many situations, this will lead to a lot
of 'false' matches, seen from a user perspective.

Ideas on how to handle this problem will be much appreciated.

this is where order by relevance should helps.

	Regards,
		Oleg
Internet: oleg@xxxxxxxxxx, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83