Search Postgresql Archives

Re: What to expect when mixing inherited tables and different schemas while dealing with functions and views?

On May 23, 2006, at 9:20 PM, Jorge Godoy wrote:
a) We are with some restricted search_path set (e.g. after "SET search_path TO schema_1") and we make a "SELECT * FROM base.view". What we're seeing is that views are tied to the schema where they were created, no matter if they are or not fully qualified in their definition. Is this correct? I'd expect views to respect the search_path if they aren't fully qualified (i.e. if I created them as "SELECT something FROM table" instead of "SELECT
   something FROM schema.table").

Yes. Views essentially end up with schemas hard-coded into them. If that doesn't work you should be able to create views on set returning functions, though that's obviously more work.

I don't know how hard it would be to allow views to become search_path aware on execution, or if such a change would be accepted.

Ultimately though, why is this a problem? Aren't you defining all the views in their appropriate schema?

b) We are seeing a really weird behaviour when we use functions. It appears that it disregards the search_path from the second run and on. If I SELECT from a function with the search_path set to, e.g., schema_1, then when I set it to schema_2 then I'll still see data from schema_1. Note, here, that even the function being created on the base schema results were correctly retrieved at first execution. (You can repeat that use the above dump by connecting, setting the search path to any of three schemas, selecting from the function, changing to other schema and then selecting again from the same function -- you'll see the same result --; then, if you
   reconnect and do a first select in another schema and change your
search_path you'll see a different result from the previous connection but
   it will be the same result for both search_paths.)

This is due to query plan caching. If you grab a new connection every time you switch companies it won't be an issue. There's also been talk of adding the ability to 'reset' a connection, but I don't remember the status of that or if it would reset the query plan cache.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx