Search Postgresql Archives

Re: challenging constraint situation - how do I make it

Alban Hertroys wrote:

When encountering this problem I usually wonder why there isn't a data type that can store a timestamp and can be used to create a UNIQUE INDEX over it's values. That'd be wonderful.
Well, maybe one day I'll actually have time to create one...

I tried this at trigger level. The real bear is in the fact that there are two columns, not one. It is trivial to write an exclusion constraint that disallows overlapping (including nested) values. What was hard was determining the meta-data structure, how do you have two columns that are sometimes treated as one and sometimes as two?

Possible, but devilish in the details.
begin:vcard
fn:Kenneth  Downs
n:Downs;Kenneth