Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [SQL] (Ab)Using schemas and inheritance

On 5/23/06, Jim C. Nasby <jnasby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is this a good idea?  Would this be too bad, performance-wise, if I had
> thousands of schemas to use like that?  Any advice on better approaches?  Any
> expected problems?

One issue is that you'll probably be breaking new ground here a bit; I
suspect there's very few people that are using more than a handful of
schemas. Shouldn't pose any issues, but you never know; although any
issues you do run into should only be performance problems.

$.02 about lots of schemas.

I worked with an application that had 500 schemas and that worked very
well. However, as the number of schemas exceeeded 8000 the query speed
started to degrade. Running \d with a single schema in your search
path took a few seconds with that many schemas. Queries that were
running in 100ms were now taking about 600ms.

In short, postgresql will support lots of schemas.