Search Postgresql Archives

Re: background triggers?

Rafal Pietrak wrote:

So if I may re-phrase the question: "is there a way to have a trigger,
that, when launched, can check if it's already running in backgroung for
some other INSERT, return imediately if so, but turn into background for
a long-lasting job if not".

Rafal, I'm wondering why you want to do this. You may be "fighting the framework".

If you are trying to do something that is totally unsupported, it is probably for a pretty good reason, usually dealing with security or data loss. You can probably get what you want by supported methods, but it may require looking at the problem in a different way.

What is it you are trying to accomplish? Is it just performance?
begin:vcard
fn:Kenneth  Downs
n:Downs;Kenneth
email;internet:ken@xxxxxxxxxx