Search Postgresql Archives

Re: password reset

On Tue, 23 May 2006 17:03:14 +0200
"venu Vempati" <venu.vempati@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi group,
> thanks for your previous response about the DB storage in postgres.
>
> now, I have a question for a password related issue.As you can see I have
> problems with my pwd.
> Either I forgot or misconfigured while installing the DB.I have loged in to
> XP as the user "vgopal" and it's the Admin account for XP.
>
> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\bin>psql
> Password:
> psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "vgopal"
>
> what are the options do I have?
> 1.reset pwd.! how?
> 2.I can't even create another user/role
> (createuser: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  password
> authentication failed for user "vgopal")

You can edit the pg_hba.conf file in PostgreSQL's data directory to change
authentication to "trust" for the local machine.  They'll you'll be able to
log in without a password and you can reset your password, then switch
the pg_hba.conf setting back.

Note that you'll need to restart PostgreSQL for changes to pg_hba.conf to
take effect.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.