Search Postgresql Archives

Re: RES: Add column and specify the column position in

Jim C. Nasby wrote:

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 05:48:52PM -0400, Emi Lu wrote:
I think it is a very useful feature for postgresql to support it.

If we have this feature supported, I do not have to recreate the table and resetup all foreign key constraints, views, triggers, etc that are based on the table.

Uh, why do you have to do that? Please don't tell me you're using SELECT
*...

No. It is not for select.

I have tens of tables with very clean structure. For example, username, application_code, last_modified_by, etc in specific orders.

Since the business model is changed, I have to add some columns to serveral tables.

I prefer columns orders following my other tables.

In any case, there's extensive discussion about this in the -hackers
archives. IIRC, there is consensus that this would be nice to have but
no one has cared enough to actually make it happen. There are some
non-trivial issues since this would mean either completely re-writing
the table when you do an ALTER or you'd have to be able to divorce the
catalog representation of a table with the on-disk representation.
Though there are other advantages to doing the later, it's non-trivial.
If it does not support, I will recreate my tables.

Thanks.