Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Unify distant Postgres databases

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 10:10:50AM +0200, Houssais Hugues wrote:
> Each distant database works on its own domain of data. Then no conflict should happen during updates.
> One thing I have not specified is that the distant databases don't handle global data but only data collected at the local level.
> Slony-1 seems not to provide replication from multi-partial databases to one global database. But maybe I'm wrong... Can you tell me more about this use of Slony?

Slony-I is in fact single-master. Slony-II will be multi-master, but
it's also vaporware right now.

What you can do is setup different tables for each set of local data and
replicate all of those back to a central location. That location can
then merge everything together and push it back out. You can also just
have each location be a master for it's local data and have all the
other locations subscribe to it.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx