Search Postgresql Archives

Re: GUI Interface

Dave Page wrote:
Part of the problem is that pgAdmin III seems to preload object properties instead of pulling them in as you need them. I have noticed many times in pgAdmin III that when a function is edited and saved by someone else on a different workstation I can't see those changes until I manually refresh the object. When you have a ton of tables etc that preloading/caching has to be taking up some time.

It does, for sure. On the other hand though, if you're connected to your
database via a slow network (working from home via modem or VPN for
example), it does mean that every click is instant rather than having to
wait for a query to execute - this is how pgAdmin I used to work, and
frustrated too many people which is why it was changed.
There's an up and downside to each design - just choose the tool that
works in the best way for you at the appropriate price for your wallet.

Regards, Dave
Why not have it be an option as to how it loads table info? I've also been looking for a decent GUI interface for postgres, but the knowledge that pgadmin III will want to load all of my table data every time I use the app is definitely prohibitive for me as our db here at work is huge. And, seriously, are we still living at a time when connection speed should be considered a deciding design factor? Yes, some people still work off of slow connections, but the vast majority of us who work in a professional environment most definitely do not.

Thanks,  Erik