Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Debugging SQL queries

In CVS tip you just see
regression=# select 1 2;
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "2"
LINE 1: select 1 2;
                 ^
regression=#

We still include "at character N" if the message is written to the
server log, but the "primary message text" field of the error report
sent to the client doesn't have it any more.  This could still be
revisited if anyone's really unhappy about it, but ISTM that if the
client app is holding up its end about using the error-position field,
putting it in the text is just clutter.

			regards, tom lane

Hi Tom,
I guess I didn't know there was a error-position field returned, I have been parsing out the "at character xx" to get the char number.

Do you know offhand if there is the error-position field is discussed in the docs anywhere?

Thanks,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design