Search Postgresql Archives

Re: default client_encoding with psql on windows

[Don't forget to CC the list so everyone can see your reply]

The pgInstaller uses Wix which is open source. You can download it from Source Forge.

John

On May 10, 2006, at 7:23 AM, Thomas Sondag wrote:

2006/5/10, John DeSoi <desoi@xxxxxxxxxx>:

On May 8, 2006, at 12:14 PM, Thomas Sondag wrote:

> I tried various things with the --set option of psql without
> success, like
> --set client_encoding=win1252 or --set CLIENT_ENCODING=win1252 or --
> set encoding=win1252.

The variables are case sensitive, so it looks like you left out the
right one. The docs say the psql variable is ENCODING (all caps).

--set ENCODING=win1252 doesn't work

If that does not work maybe you could call \encoding in the psqlrc file?

\encoding win1252 in psqlrc.conf do the work, thanks for the clue.
But it may have some side effect with psql.exe in a shell script (like
importing data in UTF8).

Today I find one environement variable in the pg_dump man page :
PGCLIENTENCODING

This shortcut solve most of my problems :
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /k chcp 1252 && set PGPORT=5432 && set
PGCLIENTENCODING=win1252 &&"C:\Program
Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\bin\psql.exe"  -h localhost -p 5432 postgres
"postgres"

I think this shorcut could solve a lot of isue, with PostgreSQL on Windows.

I would like to modify the PostgreSQL msi myself to replace the
default psql link with that one, but I don't have the tool to do it.

I will post a bug report for Pginstaller.

Thanks

  Thomas

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/