Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_dump design problem (bug??)

"Karl O. Pinc" <kop@xxxxxxxx> writes:
> I'm wondering if there's a problem with pg_dump --create,
> or if I'm just missing something.
> It does not seem to restore things like:
> ALTER DATABASE foo SET "DateStyle" TO European;
> Shouldn't the database that is re-created be like
> the database that is being dumped?

The major reason why pg_dump doesn't touch that stuff is that it wants
to be agnostic about the name of the database you are restoring into.

I don't see any particular problem with leaving it to pg_dumpall, in
any case.  pg_dump is already assuming that you've correctly set up
cluster-wide state; for example it doesn't create users for you.

			regards, tom lane