Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How does an application recognize the death of the

Geoffrey wrote:
How do folks handle the death of the postmaster in their applications? Assuming the postmaster dies after an application has connected to the database, but before it makes a request. What should I look for? Currently our application that's in development does not handle the situation well. What we want to do is gracefully (as possible) shutdown the application.

you should provide a bit more information regarding your application... is it C code, PHP, RUBY, etc. Each of these would have different solutions. As already mentioned, some already have handling code that throws errors. Others may require a bit more work on your part to recognize and handle the situation.