Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Replicating PostgreSQL DB to lightweight system

David Fetter writes:
David Fetter writes:
> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 02:31:19AM +0000, pgdb wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> like to know if I can replicate a PG db to another lightweight
>> platform like SQLite? The objective is to "push" updates to remote
>> devices(laptops, PDAs etc) from a central server, so that the data
>> can be used offline. These devices are not expected to modify any
>> data, accessing them thru' the small-footprint db system.
>

> If they're big enough, you could use Slony and PostgreSQL on the
> devices, which has the nice property of disallowing any attempts at
> writing.

Agreed. I have been using Slony, it's definitely feasible with
all-PGSQL.

>> Would be glad to hear if there are examples of existing
>> commercial/OSS products to serve the purpose.
>
> If you're not using PostgreSQL for the smaller systems, you might be
> able to rig something up with pg_dump using the --inserts option. The
> tough part will probably be getting the schema translated into SQLite
> (or whatever system you choose) idiom.
>
> You might also consider DBI-Link, but I'm pretty sure that's not a fit
> for this case.

Of course you're sure, you developed it :)

>> Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
>
> In future, please post in plain text, as many of us have trouble
> reading HTML ;)

Apologies to all :) It's not the first time, guess the problem
could be with Gawab. I will subscribe with another provider if
there's no solution.

Free POP3 Email from www.Gawab.com
Sign up NOW and get your account @gawab.com!!