Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Socket command type I unknown

Sorry to spam you guys with my noise, but for the sake of posterity, I thought I'd reply with the solution to this problem.

I learned a lot about the PGSQL protocol during this time. So, I ended up getting a Ethereal installed on a machine so I could follow the protocol and see what exactly was being sent to it. As it turns out, a separate piece of software on this server, which uses a single database handle to do its work was somehow sending an error message from another perl module as a message to the database.

It's a guess that somehow it got its file handles mixed up or something along those lines. So the "73" (PgSQL 7.4) or the "I" (PgSQL 7.3) was truly an I since the message going to the server was something like:

	"Invalid blah blah blah"

instead of:

	"Q....SELECT * FROM TABLE"

Mystery solved. I've disabled the offensive code until I can more closely investigate in a controlled environment. Give that we didn't really need it, turning it off is an adequate solution for a production server.

--Joel