Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?

Very odd.  I had always heard that MySql (at least originally) was a
"quick and dirty" database, easy to use, not fully standards compliant,
and not enterprise grade.  Postgresql on the other hand was always
the heavyweight, standards compliant, enterprise db, which was more
difficult to use and set up but much more resilient.  Postgresql has been
getting more UI support (often seen as a user friendly bonus) and
things like autovacuum support so that it is easier to use out of the box,
and MySql has been gaining standards compliance and resilience.

Funny how perceptions can differ.

Hi David,

I think it's very odd too, cause that's the exact same perception of
MySQL I have. My experience with MySQL is really limited to my
Wordpress blog, and that means I've never actually designed a database
with it. I wonder how much of this is just marketing and hype - either
on the side of MySQL or the side of Oracle.