Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Database Selection

IvoD wrote:
real experience and real enterprise applications. And last but not
least - I must run db engine on Win platform (not Linux) and all the
"success stories" assume Linux platform. So does somebody here know

Well, for one thing... I have some experience with MySQL in that respect, and I know that migrating MySQL on Windows to MySQL on Linux (or a UNIX) causes trouble.

MySQL stores its' tables as files on the file system, which is case insensitive on Windows and case sensitive on UNIX. If you didn't take a lot of care to use the same case in your queries and your table definitions, your queries will stop working once you migrate to UNIX...

With respect to PostgreSQL on Windows, utf-8 encoding isn't natively supported on that platform, so you better don't use that for your database encodings. A fix is in the works, if I understand correctly, but AFAIK it isn't there yet.

Mind though that I rarely use Windows; I use it almost exclusively for playing games. I am biased ;)

--
Alban Hertroys
alban@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

magproductions b.v.