Search Postgresql Archives

Re: A few questions about ltree

Stephan Szabo wrote:
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Alban Hertroys wrote:
Stephan Szabo wrote:

SQL> CREATE TABLE ltree_test (path ltree PRIMARY KEY REFERENCES
ltree_test(path));
"ltree_test_pkey" for table "ltree_test"
CREATE TABLE
SQL> INSERT INTO ltree_test VALUES ('a'::ltree);
INSERT 84117368 1
SQL> INSERT INTO ltree_test VALUES ('a.b'::ltree);
INSERT 84117369 1
SQL> INSERT INTO ltree_test VALUES ('a.b.c'::ltree);
INSERT 84117370 1
SQL> DELETE FROM ltree_test WHERE path = 'a.b'::ltree;
DELETE 1

I'm not sure why you expect this to error. Any row that would reference
a.b would be removed by the delete AFAICS.

Nope, there's no ON DELETE CASCADE on the FK, and RESTRICT is the
default (thankfully).

The only row that matches 'a.b' that I see in the above is the second
insert which is also the row that is deleted in the delete. And since the
constraint uses equality, any row that matches path='a.b' is a target of
the delete because it's the same operator.

Ah, I misinterpreted what you said; I thought you were talking about records with foreign keys referencing 'a.b' being deleted. That would have been unexpected unless there'd be an ON DELETE CASCADE on those records. What may be confusing here is that the FK reference is in the same table (in fact, on the same column) as the PK being referenced.

Why I'd expect it to error is because the record with PK value 'a.b' should have been referenced by the record with PK value 'a.b.c'.

I was hoping that the fact that the fields are of type ltree would hint the underlying system that these are related records, of which the parent can't be deleted due to the FK constraint. But alas, this doesn't seem to be the case - instead we'll need a few triggers. I expected a little bit more magic than there actually is.

Regards,
--
Alban Hertroys
alban@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx