Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Setup for large database

On Apr 20, 2006, at 9:02 PM, mlartz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

1) How anal should I be about my hardware setup? I have about 15 300GB 10K RPM SCSI drives, 4 of which I can directly attach to the server and
the rest one the FC array.  Should I just put the OS and transaction
logs on the direct attached storage and and then RAID10 the rest of
them and be done, or would I significantly benefit from separating out
the indexes and partitioning across tablespaces across drives?  Would
RAID5 across 10+ drives yield acceptable performance numbers?

If you have that many drives, make one RAID1 pair for the OS and a dedicated RAID1 pair for the pg_xlog. I'd put the rest into a RAID10 if you're not willing to do experimentation first... If I had the time I'd put a RAID5 on it and simulate the expected load on it, then compare the RAID10 under same load.

It depends a lot on your RAID controller, how much cache (battery backed!!!) it has, and your usage patterns.

The pgsql-performance list may have more helpful responses.

As for partitioning based on octet, you should look at your distribution of addresses and decide if it scatters the data evenly enough for you.