Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Give me some suggestion

usanee tuangrathooradee wrote:
Hello,
   I 'm a new  postgresql user and now I have some problem about it.
   I'm not sure this problem is a bug of postgresql or not.
   My problem is I have to read a text file ,processing and keep it into
database.
   Each text file is about 50,000 records, the process can be insert,update
and delete.
   I had random check and found that in the process of updating some can not
be updating.

What do you mean? Did you receive an error (if so, which one), or does nothing seem to happen to that specific record? In the first case the error should shed some light on your problem, in the second case - maybe you are updating a different record than you think, or the data didn't really change.

What are the queries you perform that "don't work"? What do your tables look like? Without that it's near impossible to say what's wrong.

   It's happen with some text file ,but some are not.

If it happens consistently with the same data files, then the cause of your troubles is probably in the data somewhere. May be a bad assumption that causes your queries to do something different than you expect, or maybe the text files are in an encoding that your database doesn't support, or maybe something entirely different.

   I really don't know what is the cause of problem but it's not about
bussiness logic because
   sometimes it's updating correctly.
   I had investigate the log file of my program but there is nothing (I
wrote the log file to show if
   it had an Exception or SQLException,so i'm quite sure that my sql
statement is correct.)

Then it can still be your business logic at fault.

   I used postgresql 7.4.6 , Platform is SUN Solaris9 , my program is java
web-application (on tomcat4.1).

You really should be using a more recent version. IIRC there are some possible data corruption bugs in that version. It's a couple of years old too. Updating to a recent 7.4 version shouldn't cause any problems, but be sure to have a dump available (made with the tools of the new version).

Regards,

--
Alban Hertroys
alban@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx