Search Postgresql Archives

Re: "Upcalls" (sort of) from the database

> Ah, OK.  More elegant.  But, it still moves responsibility for this
> to the application layer, not the database, itself.  I can't see
> any way of avoiding this :-(

Sure, I had a similar problem where newer data is required to specify
certain fields, but a legacy application can't provide that data. So there's
a flag, that defaults to false, that when set to true means "I know, I know,
just shut up and insert the data anyway."

The "flag" could be an argument to a stored procedure. In my case it's an
actual column in the table, because I wanted to use check constraints and I
wanted a record of the fact that the entry is "incomplete" because of its
source.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx