Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Implementation Suggestions

On Mar 29, 2006, at 8:03 AM, Kenneth Downs wrote:

Ian Harding wrote:

I am fascinated by your post. I have never heard a bad thing said about RoR.

I have been meaning to investigate it because it is the only system I've heard of that makes the same claim that I do, which is to have eliminated entire categories of labor through automation.

Except that I built mine on a database foundation. Systematize and automate database handling and UI creation should follow. I did not know that RoR was so cavalier w/respect to the database, is that really true? Is it really just yet-another-UI system?

Pretty much, AFAICT, it's designed to run with anything that supports SQL as it's embedded store, rather than allowing you to talk to an RDBMS with an existing
schema easily.

It's the exact opposite there of OpenACS, which puts tentacles deep into the database, and really relies on embedded functions and well crafted SQL. And only supports Oracle and PostgreSQL, not MySQL. I'm playing with Perl+Catalyst+DBIx at the moment, which seems to be a reasonable compromise, as long as you really like
perl. :).

For the original poster - a web interface might well be the simplest to put together, but if a client turns out to be a better solution I'd strongly suggest looking at Qt. It has nice SQL support and it's very quick to turn around a simple database access application, if you've a passing acquaintance with C++. And it'll compile
to Windows, Linux and OS X from the same source.

Cheers,
  Steve