Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Implementation Suggestions

Rory Hart wrote:
Chris wrote:

Rory Hart wrote:

Hi,

I'm wanting to build a database and interface for a small business to keep track of things such as clients, suppliers etc. The database will be served on a Linux box, with users accessing/updating it over the network from both Linux and windows.

I'm wondering if I could get some suggestions as to how implement this quickly and simply? I was thinking a web interface using PHP would be the fastest way of going about it.

A web interface will make it easy for others to use (and from anywhere). OTOH, if you're comfortable with C# or Java or "X" you could do it that way, however that will mean either installing an app or applet on each PC.

I have a understanding of SQL and can program but I don't want to spend an eternity working on it and maintaining it.

What languages are you comfortable with? PHP, Ruby, Python, Perl all work well for web interfaces. C#, Java (and others) work fine as client apps..

PHP would be my choice i think, there are libraries and tools for using pgsql and php aren't there?

Of course. Shameless plug coming up ;)

http://www.designmagick.com/category/2/Starting-Out

--
Postgresql & php tutorials