Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Bug? was: Re: ERROR: could not convert UTF8 character

Thank you ver much for you responase.

Yes, I had to change the client encoding for Postgres 8.1 (I had forgotten) to Latin1 because of a client encoding mismatch error while using the ODBC drivers on Windows. Stupid of me. Sorry for the bother - I changed the client encoding to UTF8 and it works now (not sure whay it was not working a month or so ago).

Cheers,
JP

Tom Lane wrote:

JP Glutting <jpglutting@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
This is reproducible, and I think it is a bug, because I have the problem not only with data backed up from Postgres 8.0 and restored to Postgres 8.1, but with data generated in Postgres 8.1. It is reproducible, at least on Windows XP. Here is a table that I backed up from Postgres 8.0. It can be restored into a Postgres 8.0 or 8.1 database, but it cannot then be backed up in Postgres 8.1.

The error message seems perfectly clear to me: you've got a character in
that table that has no representation in LATIN1.  The difference between
8.0 and 8.1 behavior is probably because you're somehow using different
client_encoding settings in the two cases.

			regards, tom lane