Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Advantages of PostgreSQL over MySQL 5.0

Leif Jensen wrote:

  Hello,

 I have with great interrest been following this thread. We have a
(small) flame war in house about this and I'm very happy about all the
arguments I have seen. I'm a long time user of PostgreSQL (which possibly
makes me a bit biased ;-) ) and I think it's great. I'm not a big database
expert, but I try to make things as good and standard as I can.

 In this respect I have 3 questions:

1) I wonder that no one has mentioned anything about security issues in
those two. I know that I'm a novice and that I didn't use MySql very much,
but it seems to me that the PostgreSQL security is much better than MySql
!?

Most people on the list only grudgingly use MySQL and so most are not so well aware of the limitations of MySQL's security model.

MySQL has no concept of group memberships or group permissions (or the more complex role permissions). The permissions are simply at the level of the individual user. When I have coded complex apps on MySQL, I have sometimes found it necessary to emulate this level of permission so that the permissions can be "compiled" down to individual permissions on the tables. It is a real pain sometimes.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting
begin:vcard