Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Query plans for plpgsql triggers

On Mar 25, 2006, at 12:24 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

This is the sort of detail that you really should not omit.

Yeah, it didn't even occur to me until I ran the "explain execute foo (42)" thing you suggested. We've been using these update rules for so long that I just think of the views as regular tables (rules are great, btw).

If you were using something newer than 7.4 then I'd ask for a complete
test case so I could look into improving the behavior --- but as it is, I'd first suggest upgrading and seeing if the problem is already fixed.

We're working towards an upgrade to 8.1.3, and a new schema. Both of which will likely provide all sorts of new "behaviors."

I'm now curious if complex rules can influence the planner in negative ways. I don't see how they could -- I've never seen unexpected EXPLAIN output via psql. However, I can try to work up a test case against 7.4.12 if you think it'll be beneficial. It'll take a few days and if you wanted 2 million-ish sample rows, be very large.

eric