Search Postgresql Archives

Re: version problem with pg_dump

Brian Kitzberger wrote:
Steve,

You asked how I built the my install of 8.1.3.  With the tar files at
the root, I used the gunzip and tar commands from the web site on the
base, docs, opt, and test tar files as suggested by the PostgreSQL.org
web site, which made the postgresql-8.1.3 directory.  I then did the
steps suggested to do the install with slight variation.

./configure  (I had to use the option --without-readline because it
gave an error without it)

If you install the readline development files (ie. rpm -i readline-devel-version.rpm or use YAST or whatever is appropriate for your distro) then you won't get this error. It basically only affects command editing and history in psql.

gmake
su
gmake install
useradd postgres
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su - postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data   (the -i
options was suggesed)
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile
2>&1 &
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test

It worked fine.  I was able to create a database from a DDL I wrote and
do insert into the tables and selects with correct results.  So I was
testing the pg_dump with I ran into problems.

And had you run /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump it would have worked fine as well. But /usr/local/pgsql/bin is probably not in your $PATH at all let alone existing ahead of /usr/bin so just running pg_dump loaded the incorrect version.

My quick-n-dirty "fix" is to make symbolic links in /usr/bin for all pg programs:

cd /usr/local/pgsql/bin
for x in * ; do ln -s /usr/local/pgsql/bin/$x /usr/bin/$x ; done

But be sure to remove the out-of-date version first.

Cheers,
Steve