Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [DOCS] COPY command documentation

Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 14:12, David Fetter wrote:
On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 07:00:13PM +0100, Jim Nasby wrote:
On Mar 23, 2006, at 4:08 PM, Oisin Glynn wrote:

I just discovered that the comments from 8.0 had the answer I was looking for but these comments are not in the 8.1 docs. Should the comments be rolled forward as new versions are created? Or if valid comments added to the docs themselves?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-copy.html

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/sql-copy.html
No, comments don't roll forward.
...and it's unlikely that they will, now or later, without somebody
whose whole job is to monitor those comments and make patches.

I'd like to make a Modest Proposalâ„¢:  Let's take down the interactive
documents and, in their place, put up a request that doc patches be
sent to -docs.

Heck, why not a form that does it for somebody, takes their email
address, and possibly even enrolls them in the -docs newsgroup.  It
can't be that hard to code up.

I am a Windows only developer (for my sins) and to be honest we are using postgres allot and are impressed by it but the *NIX centric examples in the docs can sometimes be a challenge, if there is a clear difference between Windows/*NIX operation and it is not obvious what the Windows equivalent is then there should be a Windows example or a note within the example explaining the difference.

It seems like the viewing docs with notes is far less useful if we loose all the wisdom every time there is a new release, and personally I have found the notes useful more than once.

Maybe a did you find this note useful button and useful notes get priority for doc inclusion?

What is the process for submitting a doc patch? I am sure I should be asking that on the doc list.

Oisin