Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Advantages of PostgreSQL over MySQL 5.0

Jimbo1 wrote:

Hello there,

I'm a freelance Oracle Developer by trade (can almost hear the boos now
;o)), and am looking into developing my own Snowboarding-related
website over the next few years. Anyway, I'm making some decisions now
about the site architecture, and the database I'm going to need is
obviously included. If my site works out, I'm expecting reasonably
heavy traffic, so want a database that I'm confident can cope with it.

It is out of the question for me to use Oracle, although I am a
(biased) 'fan' of that RDBMS. I definitely need to go for a cheaper
route, and to that end I'm looking at either MySQL or PostgreSQL.

Regarding MySQL, I've been put off by Oracle's recent purchase of
InnoDB and realise this could badly impact the latest version of the
MySQL database. I can almost hear Larry Ellison's laughter from here
(allegedly)! I've also been put off by the heavy marketing propaganda
on the MySQL website.
I use Oracle at work and PostgreSQL for personal projects, and I think you'll find that PostgreSQL is the more feature-complete (or "Oracle-like") database.  There are definitely situations Oracle comes out ahead, but for a website I doubt you'll find them.  Also, the syntax between the two is more closer to the standard (PostgreSQL is actually better in this) than MySQL.  Postgres has Pl/PgSQL, which is close enough PlSQL to not cause any problems.

Jeff