Search Postgresql Archives

pg 8.1.3 on AIX

Hullo :)

We're a Linux shop, and are getting an IBM pSeries 650 with AIX preloaded on Friday - I have no AIX experience, and was looking for info about compiling pg 8.1.3 on AIX, since it's the only app that will run on the machine. First, are there any precompiled packages? :))

Basically, is it currently a matter of ./configure, make, make install ? We can have whatever AIX version we want up to 5.3, so I'm looking for advice on which provides the path of least resistance..

I've been reading through http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20051122.005048.a0a268bc.en.html and http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_AIX.html

What's the popular concensus of using gcc versus  AIX's native 'cc' ?

Is a pg install likely to just be a case of installing libedit and perhaps using the 8.2devel backend Makefle as the FAQ_AIX suggests?

Sorry for being so green, but I really am in a corner needing to get things moving ASAP :(

Cheers,
Gavin.