Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Licensing of .DLL files

On 20/3/06 13:17, "Vladimira Nitrova" <vnitrova@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We'd like to distribute the following .DLL files within our software so
> as our users don't have to install these files separately:
> comerr32.dll, krb5_32.dll, libeay32.dll, libintl-2.dll, libiconv-2.dll
> and ssleay32.dll.
>
> However, the problem is that we don't know who we shall contact to get
> the permission or learn about the conditions for distribution.
>
> We know about BSD license to the libpq.dll file, however does it include
> also the above mentioned libraries? Are the above mentioned files
> covered by the PostgreSQL copyright as well?
>
> Could you please advise? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately they are not covered by the BSD licence

comerr32.dll & krb5_32.dll are part of MIT Kerberos, released under the MIT
licence iirc - http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/dist/index.html

libintl-2.dll & libiconv-2.dll are from GNU Gettext, released under the LGPL
licence (iirc) - http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/

libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll are from OpenSSL, released under the OpenSSL
licence (again, IIRC) - http://www.openssl.org.

All these components are technically optional though - if you don't need one
or more, you can compile your own build of PostgreSQL without any one of
them - see the --with-openssl, --enable-nls and --with-kerberos configure
options.

Regards, Dave.