Search Postgresql Archives

Re: full text indexing

Chris,

try REL8_1_STABLE branch, because you save a lot of time of indexing

Oleg
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, Chris wrote:

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, chris smith wrote:

Hi all,

Just wondering which full text module is better & what the differences
are between tsearch and fti ?

if you need online indexing and linguistic support (dictionaries, stop words, ranking) tsearch2 is fine. If your data are static and you need
only strict search, fti could works for you.
We hope to develop inverted index support for tsearch2 this year, though.

The table in question has roughly 80,000 rows.

how many unique words and how long are documents ?

I think I'll stick to tsearch, it seems to work pretty well.

I created the words list from one table (2 columns) for fti. 2.6G file and almost 200 million records, and took up almost 8.5G of space in the database.

I was going to see if I could do a speed comparison between the two but ran out of space before I could create the indexes on this table.

Hmm. Might try it on a different table and see what happens, I'm interested to see the differences (if any) between the results :)

	Regards,
		Oleg
Internet: oleg@xxxxxxxxxx, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83