Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Possible infinite loop in query using bitmap scans

On Mar 13, 2006, at 5:25 PM, Casey Duncan wrote:
[..]
If I restart the postmaster, the query will complete in the expected
time.

Does the problem eventually start happening again?  If so, after
how long?  How did you determine that the restart is relevant?  Do
you consistently see different (presumably better) performance after
a restart than if you don't restart?

I restarted postgres this morning and this time it didn't seem to help. That query has been running for several hours now. I'm going to let it go a while longer to see if it eventually completes, but I suspect it won't. So perhaps the prior restart was just dumb luck.

I'll try some narrower queries as well.

-Casey