Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Triggers and Multiple Schemas.

Paul Newman wrote:
Hi,

 We run with multiple identical schemas in our db. Each schema actually
represents a clients db. What we'd like to do is have a common schema
where trigger functions and the like are held whilst each trigger
defined against the tables is in there own particular schema. This would
mean that there is one function per trigger type to maintain.

However at the moment we are placing the trigger functions within each
schema along with trigger itself. The reason is that we don't know of a
function or a variable that says "Give me the schema of the trigger that
is calling this function".

You can pass a parameter into the function from the trigger definition. That's probably the easiest way. In plpgsql, parameters appear in TG_ARGV[]. Or, you could reverse-engineer the schema-name from TG_RELID.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/plpgsql-trigger.html

HTH
--
  Richard Huxton