Search Postgresql Archives

Re: database/schema level triggers?

Please remember to cc the list. I'm forwarding this to the list in case someone has any suggestions.

On Mar 8, 2006, at 23:53 , Tomi NA wrote:

On 3/8/06, Michael Glaesemann <grzm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mar 8, 2006, at 22:11 , Tomi NA wrote:

> Does anything like that exist in postgresql?
> It'd rid me of a whole lot of work if it did...and I'd still have
> plenty more to keep me busy. :)

What do you mean by database/schema level triggers? Could you give an
example of what you're trying to do? Perhaps someone on the list has
experience doing something similar.

Well, it seemed natural to me that I should be able to *not* specify a target table for a trigger and so make a trigger fire on any event in a wider context. I've seen oracle users have at their disposal something along the lines of: CREATE TRIGGER my_trigger AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE OR DELETE ON DATABASE EXECUTE something()
A similar construct on the schema level might be useful, as well.

That's what I was interested in, but now I've gone and done most of the boring, repetitive work anyway so it's now of academic or possible future interest to me, instead of immediate interest. I'm still eager to know, though. :)

Regards,
Tomislav

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com