Search Postgresql Archives

Perspective: PostgreSQL usage boon after release of 8.2

Just a quick thought, and an possibly over-optimistic forecast:

I think PG will see a really significant increase in usage, especially 'corporate' use, with the release of the version that has support for (what I consider to be) one of the biggest features in recent memory: standard iso/ansi string escaping.

In my experience this has been the biggest roadblock to adoption by companies running a commercial database... it has made migration difficult/daunting, especially for users who cannot rely on prepared statement style APIs (complex dynamic queries, etc).

Most of the corp folks I know who have tried using PG to augment or replacement a commercial offering just tend to silently pause and wait for this change.. that why this topic isn't really heard very often. It's like going to a car lot to buy a SUV, but they don't have any within sight.. the perspective buyer just moves on without saying anything.

I'm am SOOO looking forward to hearing the beta announcement for 8.2... hopefully that version's still on target for the standard string escape option.. This *one* roadblock will be gone.