Search Postgresql Archives

Linux cluster application

I'm writing a parallel/distributed application that assesses the performance impact of frequent insertions/selects to databases on parallel file systems in a linux cluster environment. Currently, the application calls for a database server to be running on each node of the cluster. Since my end-users may or may not have root access to the machines in the various clusters being used, I'm installing postgres from within the user's account to facilitate the starting and stopping of the postmaster without the need of root access. My general question is if anyone has experience with such a situation where the database server would need to be started on each machine in a parallel environment. If so, are there any suggestions for working with such a condition?

Thanks.