Search Postgresql Archives

Re: a web framework for postgresql?

On 01.03.2006, at 19:39 Uhr, falcon wrote:

Any one know of such a framework?

(I'm asking this in pgsql because such a framework will have to be
fairly closely linked to a database...and I mainly use pgsql).

Hmm. No. I don't think you can have this combined with what is often called "business logic". A lot of stuff is described in the db model, but that's only one thing.

What about process flows, permissions, login handling, session handling, design, performance optimization and so on?

I use WebObjects (http://www.apple.com/webobjects) as my main development environment and I found that every application is unique in a good percentage of its features.

For "administration" application the included DirectToWeb-Framwork in combination with a powerful community based framework ("ProjectWonder") is a VERY powerful tool when it comes to rapid development. It saves me days and weeks of work - I just couldn't do my job anymore without it and developing applications in a "standard way". But it has a very steep learning curve and is sometimes hard to handle and often frustration - until you learn how not to fight the tool.

Frontend applications like online shops, portals and so on are then developed in a more conventional way with components and handwritten xhtml/css.

If you have a Mac for development it's worth a look. Deployment can go anywhere (in theory - we have only used Linux and Mac OS X Server so far) as long as a Java runtime is installed.

cug

--
PharmaLine, Essen, GERMANY
Software and Database Development