Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Performance Problems

Are you sure that is the exact command line you are using for autovacuum? I'm not sure it will work like that, I believe the the -s and -S options require a value to be given.

Anyway, a few things you can do. It sounds like the table isn't getting vacuumed frequently enough for you, you need to play with the autovacuum thresholds and make them more aggressive, or you need to frequently issue vacuum commands from cron in addition to autovacuum. You can also upgrade to 8.1.x since that has integrated autovacuum and allows you to set a more aggressive vacuuming policy on a per table basis.

Matt

Warren wrote:
I have one table that gets slower and slower over time. It has a lot of
UPDATES INSERTS and DELETES run on it. It may have as many as 20,000 rows at
any given time. I am running autovacuum using the following command line:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_autovacuum -D -s -S -L
/usr/local/pgsql/log/autovacuum -U postgres -P password -H 127.0.0.1 -p 5432

It does speed back up after I do a full vacuum on it. What can I do to keep
the performance consistent.

Thanks,

Warren Bell

               http://archives.postgresql.org