Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Converting an ASCII database to an UTF-8 database

Rick Gigger wrote:
> I have this exact problem.  I have dumped and reloaded other
> databases and set the client encoding to convert them to UTF-8 but I
> have one database with values that still cause it to fail, even if I
> specify that the client encoding is SQL_ASCII.  How do I fix that?

Well then you need to figure out what encoding those non-ASCII
characters actually are and set the client encoding to that.  Trying
LATIN1 might be a good start, but if you users/applications have
inserted random bytes then you will have to sort it out by hand.

--
Peter Eisentraut