Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Connecting process to PostgreSQL works stunningly slow

Bart Golda wrote:
Hi,

We have a problem with PostgreSQL 8.1 on a production server (Windows
2003 Server, Xeon 3GHz, 1GB)); application placed on it run for a month
without problems. It was great. But yesterday...

Any connection to the server, from application or pgAdmin (both
previously working fine), is slow. I mean, I have to wait *minutes* for
even login to succeed. Even when connecting from the same machine, with
pgAdmin, with no users connected to it. Restarting the service is slow,
opening the database is slow, backup is slow. Sometimes minutes, I
mean. Like there was something wrong with listening for connections -
sometimes I got an information that server on [my_ip_here:my_port_here]
is not listening. The machine runs other services, but there is no
heavy load on it and users do not have any problems with e.g. (don't
shoot) MS SQL Server.

Firstly, make sure PostgreSQL is logging everything you'd like. Connections in particular might be interesting.

Secondly, check to see if you have a lot of activity with PostgreSQL on:
 1. CPU
 2. Disk I/O

If not, check your anti-virus system - if it's checking on every file access that PG makes that'll grind things to a halt.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd