Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Sequence skipping values

Jean-Christophe Roux wrote:
  Hello,
I have a table with and id field (primary key) which default value is the result of a sequence (increment explicitly set to 1). To my surprise, the real increment on insert is the total number of rows of the table. For instance, with 41 rows and a sequence last_value of 1141, the next insert row will have a value of 1182. It is not a big problem but I don't like skipping and wasting values in a sequence. Also, I'd like to understand what's going on!
If someone could give me a clue that wold be greatly appreciated
thanks
JC

Any rules, triggers, etc. involved? How are the inserts done (insert one record into the table)? What relationships does the table have to any other tables? Anything else accessing that sequence?

There is no guarantee that a sequence will be contiguous. For example, begin...insert into...rollback will not reset the sequence as other transactions could have incremented the sequence.

Cheers,
Steve